PROFESSIONAL cyclist Scott Thwaites is encouraging the county’s riders to sign up for Yorkshire Cancer Research’s flagship event, The Dales Rider.
The 24-year-old, one of three Yorkshiremen hoping to fly the White Rose flag at this year’s Tour de France, took time out of his busy schedule this week to test out the route.
The charity is offering participants the chance to complete a 65-mile or 31-mile route at the event on August 31st. Both routes start and finish at Ilkley Rugby Club and take in some of Yorkshire’s most stunning countryside.
NetApp Endura team member Scott, who grew up in Burley-in-Wharfedale and now lives in Leeds, said: “I’m really pleased to be supporting such a fantastic event. The Dales Rider is a great opportunity for both seasoned cyclists and less experienced riders to enjoy the best the county has to offer while raising money for a very worthy cause.
“As a local professional cyclist, it’s been amazing to watch cycling grow dramatically in popularity in the run up to the Grand DÃ©part. Hopefully the event will inspire more people to get on their bikes and help charities like Yorkshire Cancer Research.”
Andy Pierce, Events Manager at Yorkshire Cancer Research, added: “We’re extremely grateful for Scott’s support and we hope that keen cyclists across the county will join us for a great day out. Yorkshire has a real passion for cycling and we’re expecting our second Dales Rider challenge to be even bigger and better than last year.”
All money raised by participants will go towards funding the charity’s world-class research in Yorkshire. For more information, please visit www.yorkshirecancerresearch.org.uk/thedalesrider.
Photographs available to download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4rem9hdkn40l3x/kcAYhLV_K-. All photos copyright Bruce Rollinson. Caption: Cycling pro Scott Thwaites tests out The Dales Rider route on the climb out of Askwith, near Ilkley.
Notes to Editors – Yorkshire Cancer Research
- Harrogate-based Yorkshire Cancer Research is the UK’s largest regional medical research charity (registered charity no. 516898)
- We exist to help the people of Yorkshire avoid, survive and cope with cancer by funding world-class research into its causes, diagnosis and treatment each year.
- We work in partnership with our 200 plus scientists and clinicians to develop expertise and talent within Yorkshire.
- Current statistics that show 249 people die every week from cancer in Yorkshire and that survival rates are below the national average. By funding research in Yorkshire, we are ensuring that people with cancer who live in the region have access to groundbreaking treatments, while also contributing to the global fight against the disease.
- For further information, please visit www.yorkshirecancerresearch.org.uk or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Nikki Brady, Senior PR Officer – Yorkshire Cancer Research
- Tel: 01423 877228
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last updated: 01/04/2014
- View more in: News