Keep it safe, keep it legal

We want you to enjoy fundraising for Yorkshire Cancer Research, but it’s also important that everything is safe and legal.


If you’re holding an event in a public place you must get permission first, either from the local authority or the property owner.


Some things require a licence, such as:

  • Alcohol or entertainment, including recorded music
  • Certain types of raffles, lotteries or auctions
  • Public collections
  • Putting up banners or signs in public areas

Please contact your local authority to check which licences you’ll need. You can also visit for more detailed information.


Please remember that although we’re here to help you organise and plan, you are responsible for your activity or event  rather than Yorkshire Cancer Research. This is why we recommend you take out public liability insurance for events such as sponsored walks, family fun days or sports events.

If you’re holding your event at a specific venue, check if their insurance covers your activities.

First Aid

If you’re holding an event involving a large number of people it’s a good idea to have first aid support.

You can get advice from St John Ambulance or the British Red Cross.

Food Hygiene

Whether you’re selling cupcakes or putting on a BBQ, food safety laws apply. Check with the Food Standards Agency at for more information, just to be safe.