• Smoking is Yorkshire’s leading cause of preventable cancer and is responsible for over 4500 new cases each year.
• Cigarette smoke contains thousands of chemicals, of which 69 are known to cause cancer.
• 1 in 2 long-term smokers will die prematurely if they don’t quit.
• It is never too late to stop smoking. Quitting at any age can lengthen and improve quality of life, even for those with a smoking-related illness.
• The evidence is clear that vaping is far less harmful than smoking. Switching completely can improve the health of smokers substantially, compared to continuing to smoke.
• Vapour does not cause harm to others around you. This is in contrast to secondhand smoke from smoking, which is very harmful to the health of others.
• Vaping products are the most popular stop smoking aid in England. We have estimated that there are up to 5000 additional quitters a year in Yorkshire because of them.
• Vaping products are not completely risk-free. Non-smokers should therefore not start vaping.
Vaping products are often portrayed in a negative way, and this has led to confusion and a common misperception that vaping is as harmful as smoking tobacco.
No matter what age you decide to quit or how long you’ve been smoking, it is never too late to stop. Vaping products might help you quit for good.Read more
Mike Sugden, an ex-smoker, tells us about his experience of using vaping products to stop smoking, and the benefits it's had on his health.Mike's experience
Find out more about the evidence to date on vaping products and Yorkshire Cancer Research's position on their use.
Find out more about our investigative film, how it was produced, and the researchers and experts that took part.