Yorkshire Cancer Research is funding a new, exciting community health programme called ‘Wise Up To Cancer’. The programme aims to:
- Lower cancer risk by promoting healthy lifestyles
- Spot cancer early by encouraging people to take part in their cancer screening and look out for cancer signs and symptoms
We are working in partnership with Community Pharmacy West Yorkshire, Barca Leeds and Leeds Beckett University to deliver Wise Up To Cancer checks. More information about the Wise Up To Cancer checks and locations can be found here.
Lower your cancer risk
Our risk of getting cancer depends on many things we don’t have control over, such as our genes and age. But it is also influenced by lifestyle factors which we can change. 4 in 10 cancers could be prevented by living a healthy lifestyle. To lower you cancer risk:
Spot cancer early
Finding cancer early makes it easier to treat and gives a better chance of full recovery. To help spot cancer early you can:
1. Take part in cancer screening
Bowel scope screening
A new test called a bowel scope is being offered in England. Its full name is ‘flexible sigmoidoscopy’ which is sometimes shortened to ‘flexi-sig’.
The bowel scope is a one-off test. If it has been rolled out in your area you will get an invitation when you are aged 55. Bowel scope will be available to all 55 year olds in the UK by 2021.
During the test a doctor or nurse will use a long narrow flexible tube with a camera on the end to look inside the lower part of your bowel. If they find any small growths, called ‘polyps’, they will normally remove them straight away. This is because some polyps can become cancerous if they are left untreated.
If you did not accept your bowel scope invitation and have changed your mind, you can request a test until your 60th birthday by calling the Freephone helpline on 0800 707 60 60.
2. Look out for signs and symptoms
It is important to know your body and check yourself for any changes. Talk to your doctor if you notice any cancer signs and symptoms.
Please click on the links below to view our leaflets which give more information on the following topics:
Wise Up To Cancer checks in Yorkshire
We are working in partnership with Community Pharmacy West Yorkshire, Barca Leeds and Leeds Beckett University to deliver Wise Up To Cancer checks.
- Community Pharmacy West Yorkshire will be supporting 10 community pharmacies in the Wakefield and five towns area to deliver the checks
- Barca Leeds will be delivering the checks in community settings in the West Leeds area
- Leeds Beckett University is carrying out research on the programme to see how helpful it has been and how it can be improved in the future
Wakefield District Pharmacies
The following pharmacies are delivering Wise Up To Cancer checks in the Wakefield District:
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Trinity Medical Centre, Thornhill Street, Wakefield WF1 1PG. T: 01924 373062
- Whitworth Pharmacy, Kinsley Medical Centre, Wakefield Road, Kinsley WF9 5BP. T: 01977 611571
- Cohen’s Chemist, Station Lane Medical Centre, Station Lane, Featherstone WF7 5BE. T: 01977 791546
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Wrangbrook Road, Upton WF9 1JU. T: 01977 643809
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Stockingate, South Kirby WF9 3NU. T: 01977 642352
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Carlton Street, Castleford WF10 1DX. T: 01977 559133
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Tieve Tara Surgery, Park Dale, Airedale WF10 2QT. T: 01977 603429
- Rowlands Pharmacy, High Street, Ferrybridge WF11 8NQ. T: 01977 672522
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Market Street, Hemsworth, Pontefract WF9 4LA. T: 01977 610874
- Tesco In-Store Pharmacy, Market Street, Hemsworth, Pontefract WF9 4LB. T: 0345 671 9384
For more information on our community health programme please email firstname.lastname@example.org.